Whether you are a globetrotter who is passionate about education or a certified teacher who wants to expand your professional repertoire, the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) graduate programs at Binghamton University can help meet your needs.
The Master of Arts (MA) in TESOL enables graduates to teach in English as a Second/Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) programs in higher education settings (colleges or universities) in the U.S. or across the globe.
This program is also suitable for international students who wish to be involved in English education around the world, such as adult EFL programs in higher education or various private English programs. We offer diverse learning environments where students from China, El Salvador, Colombia, Korea and American students share their own experience and develop their academic knowledge and professional skills.
The MA in TESOL is a 33-credit program, which also requires fieldwork, an internship and a capstone project.
Prospective international students, including Fulbright students, can choose to complete the program over four consecutive semesters.
Note: The MA in TESOL does not lead to New York State teacher certification.
TESOL 4+1/Accelerated Programs
The Department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Leadership is now offering two TESOL 4+1 programs:
Our 4+1 MA in TESOL accelerated programs allow you to take undergraduate classes for your first three years. In your fourth year, you combine bachelor- and master-level courses into your schedule and graduate with your bachelor’s degree. In your fifth year, you are admitted to the Graduate School and focus solely on the coursework to complete your master’s degree.
- A one-year graduate program designed to enable Harpur and HDEV students to teach English in higher education settings both domestically or abroad
- A 33-credit program includes fieldwork, an internship, and a capstone project
- Courses are offered online, hybrid and face-to-face to provide greater flexibility of study options
- Open to all Harpur and HDEV students who are interested in teaching English and working with ELLs
Connect with a member of our Admissions Team
- General Inquiries: If you are interested in learning more about our 4+1/Accelerated Program, please contact Dr. Hoe Kyeung Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Process or Transcript Review: To learn more about the application process or a transcript review, please contact our Admissions and Certification Advisor, Tami Mann.
- Start your Application: See our application requirements.
Plan of Study
The plan of study for the MA in TESOL program provides students and advisors with a form to guide students through the requirements.
Culminating Paper/Project Requirement
Students in the TESOL programs enroll in an advisor-guided capstone course in their final semester. This capstone course provides a unified research base upon which to complete the culminating research project.
- EDUC 504 - Foundat Biling & Multicult Edu
- EDUC 529 - Grammar for English Teachers
- EDUC 581 - Linguistics for Teachers
- EDUC 583 - Second Lang. Acq.
- EDUC 584 - Methods & Assessment for ELLs
- EDUC 585 - Global Contexts for TESOL
- EDUC 587 - L2 Reading, Writing Technology
- EDUC 588 - Content Bsed ESL Curric Instru
- EDUC 591 - Internship in TESOL
- EDUC 595 - TESOL Capstone Proj or Thesis
Request more information
To apply to this program, visit our Admissions page.