Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Healthcare - online and self-paced
The principles of Lean Six Sigma are vital to the continuous improvement of hospital operations and healthcare delivery systems. This course will utilize healthcare case studies to teach the many applications of Lean Six Sigma concepts.
"The goal is to make healthcare more efficient, more effective, with higher quality and fewer errors — and, in the process, save lives." - Professor Mohammad Khasawneh
- Upcoming offerings:
- 1/24 - 3/27, 2024 (Register using the button below)
- Delivery format: Self-paced online
- Instructor: Mohammad Khasawneh (see below)
- Course content: 33 hours of video lecture materials and slides. Open-book, open-note exam due on the last day of the session to be eligible for certification. We recommend a minimum of 30-40 hours for completing the exam.
- Credentials: Notification of course completion and successful certification will be approximately 6 weeks following the end of the session. A Green Belt Healthcare badge will be issued after successful course completion in addition to a certificate of continuing education credits for a total of 3.3 CEUs from the Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science at Binghamton University.
This course will cover continuous process improvement in healthcare, an introduction to Lean, Six Sigma, Lean Six Sigma in healthcare, and the DMAIC improvement cycle (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) which is a core tool to drive Lean Six Sigma projects. Participants will also be exposed to spreadsheet-based statistics for Six Sigma, simulation for Lean Six Sigma, and case studies/projects.
- Continuous process improvement (CPI) in healthcare with an emphasis on both Lean and Six Sigma concepts and methodologies
- Lean concepts and their applications in healthcare, such as 5s, waste reduction, value stream mapping, and error proofing
- DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) to solve healthcare issues and transition CPI projects from one phase to another
- Basic statistical analysis methods and tools to determine key relationships between health system inputs and outputs
- The integration of both Lean and Six Sigma for achieving data-driven process improvement results in healthcare systems
- Team dynamics and leadership in the healthcare domain to provide effectively successful healthcare projects
- Recognize the need and key attributes of a successful Lean Six Sigma program in an organization
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of a certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt in a healthcare organization
- List the fundamentals of the DMAIC problem-solving methodology
- Use basic Lean Six Sigma tools for project definition and process baseline, and improvement analysis, implementation, and sustainability
- Define the need for advanced problem solving and improvement methodologies used by project teams
- Integrate Lean Six Sigma knowledge and tools to successfully implement, deploy, and sustain process improvements
- Computer with a high-speed internet connection and audio
- Microsoft Excel
- Trial version (free for 30 days) of the Minitab software (for statistical analysis) on or a day before the start of the training program. Minitab is available for free for all Binghamton students
- Updated version of JAVA
- A headset with a microphone may be useful but is not necessary
Mohammad T. Khasawneh
- Professor and chair in Systems Science & Industrial Engineering Department
- Associate director, Watson Institute for Systems Excellence
- Director, Healthcare Systems Engineering Center
- Director, Human Factors and Ergonomics Laboratory
- Graduate Program Director, Executive Master of Science in Health Systems
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Clemson University
Teaching Assistant - Rahaf Matahen
FEES AND DEADLINES
We reserve the right to cancel our sessions. If canceled, fees will be refunded in full.
Jan. 24 -
|Register by to avoid late fee or $50||Jan. 10|
|Registration closes (5 p.m. Eastern Time)||Jan. 10|
|Standard Green Belt||$1,500|
Standard Green Belt GROUP DISCOUNT (2 or more, verification required)
|*University of Hawaii at Hilo GREEN BELT + **CPE||$1,500|
|*University of Hawaii GREEN BELT ONLY||$1,250|
|*University of Hawaii at Hilo **CPE ONLY||$1,000|
|Binghamton University Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Not for Profit org.||$1,000|
|Binghamton University Currently Enrolled Students||$600|
Registration confirmations will be sent by email. Detailed instructions about accessing the course will be sent by email a few days before the class starts.
If you have not received confirmation within seven days of registering, please contact the Office of Industrial Outreach to make sure we received your registration.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- A $50 refund administrative fee will be applied.
- All cancellations must be received by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before the course start date.
- No refunds will be issued after you have gained access to the course materials. Substitutions may be made any time before the beginning of the course start date by informing the Office of Industrial Outreach by emailing email@example.com.
- If the course is canceled, enrollees will be advised and receive a full refund
- Allow up to three weeks to receive refunds.