Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt (LSSYB20-01)
Instructor: Dr. Mohammad Khasawneh
Start Dates: January 6 2020
End Date: February 9, 2020
Delivery: 5 weeks, Online
Credentials: If you complete the course work and pass the final exam you will earn a Micro-credential in Lean Six sigma Yellow Belt and a digital badge will be issued.
Who can take this course: This course is intended for all engineers as well as non-engineers, professionals and students and is appropriate for both technical and non-technical audiences. The Yellow Belt course is not a pre-requisite for the Green Belt course but is a good first step for those who would like to pursue their Green Belt certification.
Course Fees: $300 standard rate (industry), $200 BU rate (faculty/staff/alumni) and SUNY rate (faculty/staff/students), $150 BU student rate.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Lean Six Sigma is a process-improvement methodology that accelerates processes, increases efficiency and reduces or eliminates variation. Competition for customers is increasing throughout the corporate world, putting company profits at risk. Furthermore, customer expectations are changing rapidly as the rate of information increases; and the operating costs within companies are escalating. Now, more than ever, achieving process excellence is essential.
The Yellow Belt training serves to emphasize why the implementation of Lean Six Sigma is vital to the continuous improvement of a wide variety of industries. The course is designed for people who are new to Lean and Six Sigma and it teaches the foundational Lean Six Sigma concepts.
Several applications of Lean Six Sigma concepts will be presented throughout the course to illustrate the value of incorporating these practices into any business.
The course will be delivered via self-paced, pre-recorded lectures with built in self assessments (non-graded quizzes). Students will receive support via virtual office hours and email with the instructor and/or teaching assistant. A multiple choice open book exam will be distributed at the end of the 4th week of the course (January 31st) and the exam will be due on Sunday, February 9th at 11:59 pm. A course certificate and a digital badge will be issued to successful students (a grade of 70% or above is required to pass the course)
Topics covered include:
- Continuous process improvement (CPI) with emphasis on both Lean Six Sigma concepts and methodologies.
- Lean concepts, tools and their applications, such as 5s, waste reduction, value stream mapping and error proofing.
- A high-level introduction of the DMAIC framework (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control) to solve issues and transition CPI projects from one phase to another.
- Integration of both Lean and Six Sigma for achieving data-driven process improvement results.
- Team dynamics and leadership to deliver successful CPI projects with superior results.
Dr. Mohammad T. Khasawneh
- Professor and Chair in Systems Science & Industrial Engineering Department
- Associate Director, Watson Institute for Systems Excellence
- Director, Healthcare Systems Engineering Center
- Director, Human Factors and Ergonomics Laboratory
- Graduate Program Director, Executive Master of Science in Health Systems
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- PhD, Industrial Engineering, Clemson University
Teaching Assistant - TBD
$300 - Standard rate (industry)
$200 - BU rate (faculty/staff/alumni) and SUNY rate (faculty/staff/students)
$150 - BU student rate
Please use the registration button on top of this page.
For questions, contact the Office of Industrial Outreach at:
Phone: (607) 777-6241
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
1. All cancellations must be received in writing by noon January 3, 2020 to receive
2. Cancellations of confirmed registrations are subject to a $20 administrative fee. No refunds for cancellations or non-attendance will be given after January 3, 2020.
3. Substitutions may be made any time before the beginning of the course by informing the Watson Office of Industrial Outreach.
4. If the course is canceled, enrollees will be advised and receive a full refund