Must Dos

We promise The Buzz will contain lots of fun stuff, but there are some THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO. Here are some important next steps, requirements and information.

checkmarkActivate your BMail (Binghamton University email account) and 2-Factor Authentication (2FA)

Your BMail ( is where we send all official University information including orientation and housing details, required health forms, semester bills, financial aid and more. View instructions on how to activate >

checkmarkCOVID-19 vaccination requirement

All Binghamton students who access campus facilities in person are required to be fully vaccinated before the start of the fall 2022 semester with limited exceptions. In order to register for Orientation and fall courses you must complete this requirement.

For complete details about the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, visit Decker Health Services online

checkmarkRequired health forms

All incoming students MUST complete the online Meningococcal Vaccine Response Form, the Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis form, an Under 18 Consent Form (if applicable),  request health screening and provide documentation of certain immunizationsIn order to register for fall courses you must complete these health requirements.


All newly admitted students who have paid their admission deposit will be able to register for Orientation beginning in early May. Students will receive an email when our registration system is available.

checkmarkHealth insurance requirement

Personal health insurance is a requirement for full-time undergraduate students. Domestic undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive it.

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas will enroll in a plan administered through the University's the International Student and Scholar Services office.

checkmarkFinal transcripts (transfers and first-year students who have taken college courses)

ALL students (first-year students and transfers) are required to mail an official, final high-school transcript, including graduation date, and seal, stamp or signature, or a GED.

  • Request that an official transcript from every college or educational institution you've attended be mailed to the Admissions Office: Binghamton University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001.
  • If you were taking coursework at the time you applied to Binghamton, be sure your transcript from that institution is sent electronically or mailed to the Admissions office once the course(s) is completed.
  • Find course-to-course equivalency information and transfer guides here >   

checkmarkAccept your financial aid

checkmarkAbout your bill

The fall 2022 E-bill notification will be sent to your BMail in early August with a due date in September. For more details regarding payment and due dates, visit Student Accounts.


Online housing registration will open in mid-April (you need to activate your email account before you can sign up). 

  • First-year students must live on campus. Exceptions are granted for first-year students who are residents of Broome, Tioga or southern Chenango County, are 21 years of age or married. Read more about the housing sign-up process>
  • Transfer students who choose to live on campus typically live in our Apartments Community (Hillside and Susquehanna). Opportunities for transfer students to live in our traditional residence halls are available, but limited.  Read more about the housing sign-up process > 
  • Transfers: For information on available off-campus housing options, visit the Off Campus College Office (OCC). The Binghamton area offers a wide range of housing options and free bus service to campus.
  • Microwave/refrigerator rentals are available for pre-order. To order, call 1-800-525-7307 or visit

checkmarkStudent ID

Your Binghamton student ID is needed for residence hall and room access, meal plan as well as many other student services. Visit this webpage for instructions on how to upload a photo for your student ID. 

checkmarkAdvanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit 

  • AP credit -- To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, contact the College Board to confirm your scores will be sent electronically to the Admissions Office. Test scores of 3, 4, or 5 may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. Learn more about Binghamton's AP credit guidelines
  • IB credit -- Credit is awarded only for Higher Level IB exams, with scores of 4 or 5 receiving 4 credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. IB scores are submitted to Binghamton University through the International Baccalaureate website. Find out more about IB credit guidelines

checkmarkExcelsior Scholarship (New York state residents only)

Sign up to receive a notification when the application for the Excelsior Scholarship  -- which allows eligible students to attend New York state schools tuition-free -- becomes available!

Details and application are managed by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). For more information, including the Excelsior Scholarship Fact Sheet and FAQs for completing the application, visit the HESC website.

checkmarkSign up for direct deposit for refunds (student access only, not authorized payers)

Refund checks are printed once a week. Signing up for direct deposit allows you to have refunds automatically deposited into your bank account.

Step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for direct deposit >

checkmarkBinghamton University Dining Services (BUDS)

Binghamton University meal plans provide the ultimate in convenience and flexibility. With your meal plan, you have the freedom to dine anywhere on campus, anytime you want.

All students living on campus are required by the University to purchase a Resident Dining meal plan. Students living in residence halls are automatically enrolled in Meal Plan C,  although there are other meal plans available.

Watch this video to learn more about the Binghamton University dining experience.


Learn more about on-campus parking regulations, including how to purchase a parking permit. Permits for the upcoming semester are available online in early August. First-year resident students are not allowed to have vehicles on campus.

checkmarkReview/verify your contact information

  • Log into BU BRAIN Self Service, "Information" tab
  • Verify your contact information (address and emergency contacts)
  • Make sure we have your Social Security Number on file (required for tax and financial aid information)

checkmarkEmergency alert contact information (B-Alert/RAVE) 

Binghamton uses an alert system (B-Alert) that sends text messages to cell phones.

  • Go to and log in with your Binghamton University PODS username and password. 
  • The system will only be used for emergency purposes and you will never receive any messages other than official Binghamton communications.
  • You can add parents and family members who are interested in receiving official alerts from Binghamton.

Additional information about B-alert can be found online. 

checkmarkStudents with disabilities

Students who require disability-related services or accommodations MUST contact Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible so we can make any necessary arrangements. If you've had accommodations in the past, make sure you note that when you register for Orientation.