Non-Matriculated Student Aid

Non-matriculated students are not eligible for most sources of financial aid but some may qualify for federal loans.

To determine whether you are eligible for federal loans, you must access the Non-Matriculated Status Certification Form and submit it to Financial Aid and Student Records in person; via email at; or via fax at 607- 777-6897.

Requirements for federal loan eligibility as a non-matriculated student

Must enroll for a minimum of six credits in courses that are prerequisites for entry into a degree program at Binghamton University or another institution. Note: Coursework to improve GPA/grade or that is required for completing a degree is not considered a "prerequisite" for entry.

  • Must receive prior academic approval for planned coursework.
  • Must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Must complete the Non-Matriculated Status Certification Form and submit it to Financial Aid and Student Records (AM 112) with the appropriate academic representative signatures.
  • If taking prerequisites for admission to another institution, advisor’s signature from that institution is required for approval of federal aid (additional documentation may be required).

Please note: In addition to federal loan options, students can apply for private loans from a private lender (credit approval and specific lender rules may apply).

Eligible non-matriculated students may receive loans for one consecutive, twelve-month period. If the student is unable to matriculate into a degree-earning program at the end of the twelve-month term of eligibility, they will no longer be able to receive additional federal loans. Once the student becomes matriculated, they may continue to receive federal loans and may also be eligible for other types of aid.