Financial Aid for Education Abroad

The grants and loans you receive during the fall and spring semesters may be used to cover education abroad charges for Binghamton University or another SUNY program.  However, there are no "special" funds reserved for education abroad.

If you plan to attend a winter or summer abroad program, loans may be the only available aid and will be deducted from your fall or spring financial aid package.

If you're attending a SUNY program, New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) will be applied. If you’re attending a non-SUNY program, TAP will not be available (see section below "If you're attending a non-SUNY Education Abroad Program" for more information).

Once you decide on a program, meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss financial aid options for the trip. Bring an estimate of the program's cost with you.

To see if you are eligible to apply for scholarships, contact the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives (IEGI) at 607-777-2336 or stop by their office located in Old Champlain, Room 240.

Financial aid "must dos" before your education abroad

  • File your FAFSA beginning October 1 for the upcoming year.
  • Obtain a letter of acceptance and a detailed program budget from the school you are going through. Submit these along with the Education Abroad Request for Review Form to Financial Aid Services.
  • Make sure you have done the necessary paperwork in the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives (IEGI) so they can pre-register you for education abroad.
  • Contact Student Accounts, located in the Admissions Center, to discuss how your aid will be disbursed while you are abroad - early December for spring programs and early May for fall programs.
  • Before you leave on the program, double check with all offices involved to assure your financial aid will be processed smoothly.
  • If you are enrolled in a Binghamton University education abroad program during fall, spring and/or summer semester(s), you are required to confirm your enrollment via BU BRAIN. Failure to confirm enrollment will result in your courses being canceled.

The Education Abroad Request for Review Form lists all of the information and documents we will need in order to determine your eligibility for ANY aid toward education abroad expenses. Once you complete this form and return it to our office with the required documentation, it will be reviewed by your Financial Aid counselor. You will be notified if there are any changes to your previous financial aid offer.

If you're attending a non-SUNY Education Abroad Program

  • You must receive approval for your program from the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives (IEGI).  Email them at with a web link to your program information so they can review if the program qualifies for aid.
  • Check with the school/program that they will accept the Consortium Agreement. Financial aid cannot be considered and processed without a complete consortium agreement on file with Financial Aid Services. Once you have emailed with your program details, IEGI will send you the consortium agreement paperwork if your program does qualify.  The IEGI will also ask you to complete the Non-SUNY online application so your study abroad plans are on record with Binghamton University.
  • Check with the school/program whether you are required to pay in full up front. If you pay in full up front and receive financial aid, you will receive a refund from Student Accounts. Funds must be used to satisfy your financial obligations with your education abroad program first.
  • You are not eligible for New York state’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
  • Student Accounts will issue a refund directly to you. These funds must be used to pay for your host school. Refunds will not be given until an Enrollment Verification form is completed and received.
  • It is strongly encouraged that you sign up for Direct Deposit via BU BRAIN with the Student Accounts Office. You'll need to provide a void check or your bank's routing number and account number to sign up for Direct Deposit.

Payment and refunds

  • Most programs provide students with a form that must be completed by the Financial Aid and Student Accounts offices to verify how much and when the financial aid will be granted. 
  • If you are attending a non-SUNY program, refunds will not be released until an Enrollment Verification form is received by Binghamton University. The form is part of the Consortium Agreement package.
  • To arrange for Direct Deposit via BU BRAIN, mailing or picking up of your refund check, contact the Student Accounts Office, Admissions Center 101, or 607-777-2702.
  • You must meet with Student Accounts to discuss and finalize the payment and refund check process.
  • If you receive money for the program but decided not to go or withdraw mid-way, you must return the disbursed funds to the Student Accounts Office. Failure to do so may result in a loss of aid eligibility in a future semester and financial liability to Binghamton University and/or the host institution.