Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of our most frequently asked questions by parents and families during the Orientation season. More answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the Parent and Family Programs Parent FAQ page.

Don't see your question here and still need assistance? Please contact our New Student Programs Office at 607-777-2878 or via email at

How does my student register for Orientation?

All newly admitted students who have paid their admission deposit will have access to the Orientation checklist starting in early May. The first item to complete is to register for an Orientation session. These dates are offered throughout June and July and are specific to the school to which your students were admitted. If your students do not see the Orientation checklist when they log into myBinghamton by May 31, have them contact our office so we may assist either over the phone (607-777-2878) or through email ( If your students have any trouble registering for Orientation, have them contact our office at the phone number above for assistance.

How do I register for Family Orientation?

Students must register parents or family members for the Family Orientation when they register for their Orientation through VZOrientation. Once we receive this registration, further information will be directly communicated to participants with next steps. Please ensure your student has put in your correct email address. All communication regarding the Family Orientation program will go to the email address you are registered with.

If your students do not see the Orientation checklist when they log into myBinghamton by May 31, have them contact our office so we may assist either over the phone at 607-777-2878 or through email at

Should I participate in Family Orientation?

We strongly encourage parents and families to partake in our Orientation process. You will receive important information regarding campus resources, as well as how to best support your students in getting the most out of their college experiences and successfully obtaining their degrees. 

Does my student have to participate in Orientation?

Yes. While Orientation is not mandatory, participation is strongly suggested. Pariticpating in Orientation allows new students an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the resources available on campus, and connect with current and incoming Binghamton University students. Orientation also provides students the ability to register for their first semester courses.

Who should I contact with questions on...?

Health forms

Visit the Decker Student Health Services Center page for information on what will be required of new students.


Phone: 607-777-2221

Residential Life

Visit the Office of Residential Life website to learn more about our different residential communities, how to sign up for housing, and the amenities offered while living on campus.


Phone: 607-777-2321

Campus safety

Visit our page on campus safety to see all the steps Binghamton University takes to keep our students, staff, faculty, visitors and community members safe. Learn more about our University Police Department and Harpur's Ferry, our on-campus, student-run ambulance service.


Phone (non-emergencies): 607-777-2393

Sign up for B-Alert

Financial Aid

Visit the Financial Aid website for specific information on financial aid, student accounts and student records.

Speak to frontline servicing staff for general financial aid questions using Zoom live.

  • Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.

General inquiries: 607-777-2428

  • Monday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
  • Friday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.

Speak to a financial aid counselor: 607-777-7110

  • Monday–Thursday: 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
  • Friday: 11 a.m.–4 p.m.

Counseling services

Visit the University Counseling Center's website for further information about the various services offered to students. You may also visit the Parent Resources web page for parent-specific resources in supporting your students.

Phone: 607-777-2772

A note about confidentiality: The Counseling Center is required by law and by professional ethics to protect the confidentiality of all communication between the counseling staff and our clients (except in cases of imminent suicide, homicide, or suspected child or senior abuse). Consequently, they cannot discuss with others the details of a student’s situation or even indicate whether the student is being seen in counseling. In order for information about the student to be released to you or others, permission from the student (usually a written release of information) is required. However, the Counseling Center is available to consult with you in general terms about your concerns or questions.

Course registration

Course registration, academic advising and other academic-related questions should be directed to your students' specific schools:

Career services

Visit the Fleishman Center website to learn more about career search support, on-campus jobs, and internships.


Phone: 607-777-2400