"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life." — Arthur Ashe
Hinman’s ALIVE program (Achieving Leadership In Volunteer Experiences) is central to the spirit and culture of our college; it is about personal growth, civic engagement, exploring new opportunities and experiential learning. We actively partner with the University’s Center for Civic Engagement. Our ALIVE points program rewards students who consistently participate in service-learning projects.
Public Service Learning Community
Hinman's Public Service Learning Community (PSLC) is a great option for students who want to make a difference through civic engagement courses and active volunteer service. New members of the PSLC live in Hughes Hall on the same floor with other like-minded students. Through academic courses, workshops, field trips, group service projects and social activities, PSLC residents have the opportunity to:
- become active, knowledgeable volunteers in the greater Binghamton community
- explore jobs and careers in non-profit organizations and agencies
- make friends with students with similar interests and goals
- heighten their awareness of cultural and social diversity within society
- develop the skills they need to step up into leadership roles
- increase their dedication to responsible living and exemplary service to society
Hinman College partners with the College of Community and Public Affairs, as well as other departments in the University, to offer a rich set of service-learning courses, which simultaneously fulfill some General Education requirements. Among the service-learning courses recommended for Hinman students are:
- HDEV 100, Study of Human Change
- HDEV 106, Practicum in Leadership and Community Service
- HDEV 116, Practicum in Leadership and Community Development
- PAFF 225, Foundations of Civic Engagement
- SCH 280, Philanthropy and Civil Society
- WGSS 482, Social Justice
- CDCI 395, Internship with Community Organization
Watch our Public Service Learning Community Video
See our informational flier.
Visit our Facebook page.
For more information about Hinman's distinctive PSLC, email email@example.com with your name, Bmail address, B# and class year. You'll receive a full description of PSLC activities and expectations, as well as an application form.