File a report

File a report

If you have experienced an act of interpersonal violence, or have been sexually assaulted, or if think you have been but are unsure, it’s your decision whether you file a report or not.  For more information on your rights, visit the victim/survivor bill of rights page.

If there is a chance you’ll want to report the incident, either now or in the near future, there are various options available to you. Some of these options require you to provide your name and contact information; in some cases this information can be kept confidential if you request it.

Find a list of resources on the Binghamton Support Network.

Find reporting options on the University's Report a Concern webpage.

You have the RIGHT to an advocate at any time

There are confidential and private resources available. Advocacy is available through the Dean of Students Office and from Crime Victims Assistance Center (CVAC)by calling 607-722-4256.  

For information on advocate services visit our role of an advocate page.

Informal (confidential) reports can be filed with:

Formal (private) reports can be filed with:

  • The University Police Department (UPD) by calling 607-777-2394, emailing or going to the University Police office in the basement of the Couper Administration Building.
  • Reporting the incident anonymously using the University Police Department's online Report a Crime Form.
    • If the assault happened off campus, contact the local police.
    • IF you were assaulted off campus, the University Police will take your report then refer you to the police department that has jurisdiction in the location you were assaulted.
  • Talk with one of the advocates at the Dean of Students Office.
  • Report it to the University Title IX Coordinator Andrew R. Baker.
  • Tell your resident assistant or resident director, who will then formalize the report with the Office of Student Conduct.

Filing a complaint with a state and/or federal agency:

A student who is not satisfied with the University's handling of a complaint, may also file a complaint with federal and state agencies. For a comprehensive list of agencies and contact information, please see this document.

Dual filing a complaint with the University and a state and/or federal agency:

In addition, the Complainant may file a complaint with the appropriate State or Federal agency at any point during the process.

Protected from Retaliation

The Binghamton University is firmly committed to a policy that encourages timely disclosure of sexual misconduct. Any person, who, in good faith, reports sexual misconduct will be protected from retaliation (defined as an adverse action taken because an individual has engaged in protected activities), threats of retaliation, suspension or discharge from an educational opportunity or employment, or any other forms or means of discrimination because this person reported sexual misconduct.

Role of the Title IX Coordinator in the Complaint Process

The Title IX Coordinator shall be notified of all sexual misconduct complaints by the University employee who took the complaint in order for the Title IX Coordinator to oversee the complaint processes and accommodations for the student.