Taking Courses at Other Institutions

If you are thinking about completing coursework at a different college or university,  here are a few brief instructions and resources to help you understand the transfer process:

1. Identify coursework to be taken elsewhere

Your first step is to identify the coursework you need or would like to complete elsewhere. Feel free to consult with an advisor to determine the best options for taking courses away from Binghamton. 

2. Identify where you can take courses

Once you identify the course or requirement you would like to complete elsewhere, you should begin exploring institutions. Many students take courses at their local community college or a nearby SUNY center. Students in the NYC area also attend CUNY schools frequently as well. If you are looking to take online courses, Open SUNY lists online courses offered through any of the SUNY campuses. 

If you intend on taking courses through another SUNY campus, please review the Cross-Registration information on the Student Records and Registrar Services website and complete the SUNY Cross-Registration form.   

In you intend on taking courses through a college or university outside the United States, please review the International Transfer Credit Policy.

 3. Receive approval to take the course and receive credit

General Education or Non-Major Elective Courses:

After identifying a school, take a look at our Course-to-Course Equivalency Tables, which show you all of the equivalencies we have for courses at other institutions. The table contains courses that will automatically transfer. If you see a course on the table which has a Binghamton equivalency, you know that you can take that course without petitioning, or otherwise seeking the University's permission

Major or Minor Courses:

If you are taking a course to complete a major or minor requirement, you should see
your major advisor or minor advisor to be assured the course will qualify, even if the course is on the list. If you are majoring in English, Economics, Psychology or Biology you MUST petition ahead of time in order to have a transfer course counted in your major. English, Economics, or Biology students must complete a transfer credit petition from our "Forms & Petitions" page for major courses.

Not on the List:

If a course you want to take, or a course you need, does not appear on the transfer table, you may still be able to take it, but you should complete the appropriate transfer credit petition first. 

4. Take the course and transfer the credits back to Binghamton

Once you finish the course and receive a grade of C- or higher, have the registrar of the other institution send you transcript to:

Binghamton University 
PO Box 6001 
Binghamton, NY 13902-6001

5. Check your record for the transfer credits

You can check your Degree Works audit or your Online Academic Transcript in BU Brain. On your Online Academic Transcripts (on BU Brain > Your Records > Online Academic Transcript), transfer credits appear at the top of your transcript, before any courses you’ve taken at Binghamton University. 

Please note, it takes 3-4 weeks after a transcript is received for it to be evaluated and added to your Binghamton University transcript. 

If the credits do not show up on your record, first contact to confirm that Admissions has received your transcript. If Admissions confirms that the transcripts have been received but the credits are still not showing up on your record, use our easy form “Where are my transfer credits?” . This form will notify the University that there is a transcript waiting to be evaluated.