SUNY Cross-Registration

Binghamton University SUNY to SUNY

Cross-Registration Guidelines and Form

Cross-Registration Guidelines for Undergraduate Students:

Home Institution = the institution where you are matriculated.
Host Institution = the institution with which you are seeking to take additional courses. 

Please note:
  • We do not process cross-registration requests for graduate students.
  • Some SUNY schools may not participate in winter or summer session cross-registration. Please be sure to check with the host school to confirm cross-registration participation before beginning the process.


1. Students must be in good academic standing (2.0 or better) and be eligible to register for courses at the home institution. Registration holds or suspension from the home institution will result in a denial of the cross-registration application. Students on academic probation will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

2. Courses must be applicable toward the student's degree at Binghamton University.

3. Students will not be eligible to cross-register in the major semesters (fall and spring) at the host institution if a course is offered at the home institution unless the student can demonstrate that the lack of course availability at the home institution will result in increased time to degree.

4. Students will not be eligible to cross-register if they are in an Education Abroad program for the semester.

5. Before approving a request to cross-register, Binghamton University will review the student schedule and make adjustments to allow the course to be taken at the home institution. If students are enrolled in courses which are not applicable to the degree and conflict with the requested degree applicable course, Binghamton University will request the student drop the non-applicable course and register for the required course.

6. Requests to register for courses in a major semester at a host institution which can be taken in a future term at Binghamton University will not be approved (i.e. foreign language and general education requirements, etc.).

7. Students can enroll in up to 18 credits per major semester, 16 credits in the summer and 4 credits in the winter. Requests to exceed the allowed credits per term across both institutions will be denied.


1. The cross-registration application can be found here: SUNY Cross-Registration Form

2. The cross-registration decision, as well as any questions, will be communicated to the students directly through the cross-registration portal. Please do not send additional questions via your Binghamton University email account.

3. Home institution students have priority for all courses at the college or university. Host institutions may restrict registration in high demand courses to home students.

4. Cross-registration requests must be submitted to Binghamton University no later than 5 business days prior to Binghamton University's add/drop deadline of the requested cross-registration term. Late submissions will not be approved.

5. Credits earned through cross-registration are recorded on the Binghamton University transcript as transfer work. Cross-registered courses do not count towards university, major, or minor residency requirements. Student must meet Binghamton University residency requirements in order to graduate. Cross-registered courses do not count toward the Binghamton University GPA.

6. You must have the approval of both the home and host institution. You are responsible for ensuring that the course(s) you cross-register for meet the requirements of your degree. If you change your major/minor, the courses you cross-register for may no longer count toward degree requirements.

7. Please NOTE: even if you have the permission of the instructor or have satisfied all pre-requisites/co-requisites necessary for enrollment at the host institution, you must still complete the registration process via the online SUNY application in order to officially register in a course.

8. Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. You are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines.

9. Please NOTE: if you are not enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits applicable to your degree by the date in which you incur full liability at Binghamton University, you may be disqualified for certain New York State aid programs (e.g., TAP, Excelsior Scholarship, STEM, etc.).

10. You will be responsible for the attendance and academic requirements of the course even if home and host calendars do not coincide.

11. Enrollment changes may impact your eligibility for financial aid for the current term and/or future terms, (e.g. dropping below full-time). Please consult the Financial Aid and Student Records office regarding academic eligibility for financial aid, including satisfactory academic progress standards.

12. You are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on BOTH campuses if you withdraw from a course(s) (Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, etc.).

13. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement is considered approval for the home and host institutions to exchange academic and financial information regarding your cross-registration.

  • If you wish to utilize your financial aid at another SUNY institution you will need to check "yes" on the SUNY Cross-Registration application in section 1.
  • If approved, the schools involved will communicate with each other and the student via the SUNY Cross-Registration portal. Based on financial aid eligibility, disbursement and payment will be handled between campuses, according to SUNY Cross-Registration policy. Any remaining balance is the student's responsibility.
  • For more information on Binghamton's SUNY Cross-Registration guidelines for receiving financial aid, please visit the Financial Aid page.

14. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement indicates your agreement to abide by all regulations imposed by the host institution (parking, attendance, library rules, etc.). In addition, the host institution may apply rules and regulations to incoming students as it deems necessary (e.g., restrictions on classes based on seat availability). Be sure you are aware of those rules before submitting the cross-registration application.

15. All course-related fees in excess of tuition are the responsibility of the student (e.g., lab fees).

16. Any Health Center (immunization/records/physical exam, etc.) requirements must be met at BOTH institutions, even if they differ.

17. Students cross-registering at Community Colleges: You must file residency documents at the host institution. This means you will need to provide, via the SUNY online application, a Certificate of Residence (must be obtained from the county of your permanent residence).

18. Registration is the responsibility of the student. Once you submit an application for cross-registration, via the SUNY online application, please continue to check your e-mail for updates, messages, additional requirements, etc.

Requirements for Visiting/Host (Non-Binghamton University) Undergraduate Students:

  1. Submit a cross-registration application .
  2. Submit a non-matriculated student application.
  3. Visiting/host undergraduate students will not be allowed to register until the first day of classes for the fall and spring terms.