Intern or Volunteer for the Recycling Program (pdf, 104kb)
Recycling is mandatory in Broome County. Binghamton University follows the guidelines established by the County. The campus should use the guidelines below.Confidential Shredding
Students, faculty and staff are asked to place all confidential documents for shredding in locked confidential paper carts. Locked confidential paper carts are to be stored in a secure room which is to be locked by the end of business hours. The campus will retain a file of Certificates of Document Destruction in a centralized area. Copies of these certificates can be made available as needed.
More information about confidential document disposition can be found here.
Disposal of Electronics information here.
- Submit a service request to Physical Facilities Customer Service using the web based service request or by calling customer service at 777-2226.
- Information need in the service request includes location, date to bring dumpster to campus and removal from campus, size needed 20yd or 30yd
Staff and faculty should deposit all recyclable material in the blue bins located in the hallways of buildings.
- Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, manila folders, envelopes, brown paper bags
- White, colored notebook and fax paper
- Soft and hard cover books
- Wrapping paper (non-metallic)
NO blue prints, carbon copy paper, metallic paper, tissues, napkins, paper towels, paper cups, paper plates or paper egg cartons
- All Cardboard Boxes
- Pizza boxes
- Corrugated boxes (wavy middle layer)
- Single layer cardboard (cereal boxes)
No wax covered cardboard (can scrape off wax with your finger nail), mold covered or food contaminated material
- Milk and juice cartons
- Clear, brown and green (jars and bottles only)
NO window pane glass, mirrors, ceramics, planters, cups or light bulbs
- Food and beverage containers
- Detergent, Shampoo containers, etc
- Landscape plant trays & flower pots (no soil) NEW!
- Microwave trays NEW!
- Small plastic totes NEW!
- Plastic dish drainers NEW!
- Small plastic toys NEW!
- Small plastic waste baskets NEW!
- Polystyrene egg cartons NEW!
- Polystyrene cups NEW!
- Plastic cups (clear & colored) NEW!
- Plastic clamshell containers (fruit, vegetable, bakery) NEW!
- Plastic reusable bottles NEW!
- Plastic reusable food storage containers NEW!
No plastic bags*, plastic film*, styrofoam, automotive fluid containers, small appliances, utensils and plates.
*Plastic bags and plastic film can be recycled through bag recycling programs at store locations
- Tin and steel food and beverage cans
- Aluminum pans, cans and clean foil
- Metal pots, pans and bowls NEW!
No utensils, hangers or scrap metal
Batteries/Ink Jet Cartridges
Dead batteries and used ink cartridges should be taken to your RD's office or one of the designated recycling centers listed below.
DESIGNATED BATTERY AND INK CARTRIDGE DROP OFF LOCATIONS
- Residence Halls - any RD's office
- Library Tower - Fountain entrance
- Lecture Hall - Rm B 60 Level B by the elevators
- Academic AA - 113 Near First Floor Bathrooms, SOM Entrance
- Academic B - G 06 Near Loading Dock Entrance
- Science 1 - Rm 150 Front entrance, turn right go all the way down the hall
- Science 2 - Rm B 23 Next to recycle bins
- Science 3 - Rm G 51 Inside the door of the loading dock
- Science 4 - Rm G 41 Loading dock entrance next to elevators
- Engineering Building - Rm B 4 CIW/Flower box entrance Electronics and Manufacturing
- Technology Hub - Rm 202 2nd floor right off the elevator next to recycle bins
- Fine Arts - hallway recycling area
- University Union - outside Campus Mail Services
Additional Waste Reduction/Recycling Information