Emotional Intelligence - Growing Your EQ Through Constructive Communications
Instructor: Richard (Dick) Orth
Date: April 27 - 28, 2021
Time: 4 pm - 6 pm each day
Delivery format: Live Virtual on Zoom
Credentials: A course completion certificate and an Emotional Intelligence Foundations Digital Badge will be issued to students who pass the exam. The open-book online 20 question multiple-choice exam is voluntary and participants will be given access to the exam at the end of day 2 (6:00 - 6:30 p.m. on April 28). You will have 30 minutes to complete the exam. A passing grade of 80 % is required to receive the course completion certificate and the digital badge.
Who can take this course: This course is intended for all engineers, professionals and students.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The purpose of this interactive course is to deepen our awareness of Emotional Intelligence (El) - the capacity to be aware of, channel and express one's emotions, and to engage in interpersonal relationships effectively and empathetically. EI is being aware of our own feelings and actions, as well as being socially-aware of others. Class participants will discover how they can transform the way they communicate, both verbally and non-verbally. Participants will apply two foundational dimensions of communication that dramatically affect El. Emotional Intelligence cultivates life skills – and leadership skills – that can be applied to your personal and professional relationships. These foundational principles can be used at work, at school and in your personal life.
At the completion of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Improve Emotional Intelligence by increasing social- and self-awareness.
- Reveal personal 'blind spots' and 'masks' to strengthen personal relationships.
- Describe the characteristics of "common and shared values" and their impact on the sustainable success.
- Implement powerful techniques for active and empathetic listening when giving & receiving feedback.
- Apply the Six Step Constructive Conversation process to resolve personal conflicts.
- Use Sensitive, Open and Direct (SOD) two-way communications and apply these constructive behaviors to create a foundation of trust.
- Describe how constructive conversations build a constructive organizational culture.
- Explain why Emotional Intelligence is an underpinning for cultivating effective and empathetic relationships during the COVID pandemic.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
RICHARD (Dick) ORTH is a transformational facilitator, having over 39 years' experience with IBM as a change leader, facilitator, trainer, leadership coach and business analyst. Dick has a proven track record of helping organizations and individuals improve their capabilities in the areas of leadership development, cultural and process transformation. He has led dozens of organizational change efforts by enabling capabilities in collaborative problem-solving, team-based decision-making, conflict resolution, constructive communications and process facilitation.
Dick is also an IBM certified IT Specialist, a volunteer community mediator, and he is on the Board of Directors for several organizations in his community. He enjoys spending time with his wife Ruthanne, where they travel around the country and visit their 3 children and 5 grandchildren.
For questions, contact the Watson Office of Industrial Outreach
Phone: 607-777-6243 (office) or 607-232-7236 (Cell)
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
All cancellations must be received in writing before April 26 at 5 pm to receive a refund. No refunds for cancellations or non-attendance will be given after 5 pm on that date. There is a cancellation fee of $20
Substitutions may be made any time before course start by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If the course is canceled, enrollees will be advised and receive a full refund.