- Be a spring 2022 Watson College undergraduate candidate
- Be in good disciplinary standing at the University
- Demonstrate academic success
- Be an active participant in the University community
Complete applications are due by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, March 2, 2022, via email to Kimberly Eiche at email@example.com. Only applications that are 100 percent complete will be considered.
Items that must be submitted
- Personal statement: include information about yourself as well as why you wish to represent your class as the Commencement student speaker
- Résumé: a brief résumé that includes your school, major and any University activities
- Speech: A complete draft of speech (no more than four minutes) that you would like to give at the Commencement ceremony
- References: Two references, including contact information. References must be professors, administrators or staff members at Binghamton University
Selection Process and Deadlines
Phase I: Submit application materials by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, March 2
Phase II: Watson Commencement Committee will review all applications - March 3 through March 8.
Phase III: Interviews and presentations to be completed by March 16
- A brief, 15-minute virtual interview will be conducted with candidates selected by the committee during Phase II (application review). During the interview, the student will be asked to give their prepared speech to the committee.
[Note: All interviews will be conducted virtually. However interview dates may fall during spring break. If this is an issue, please communicate this when submitting your application, and the committee will make accommodations.]
Phase IV: Selection - By 5 p.m. March 17
Phase V: The two selected undergraduate student speakers will work closely with the Commencement Office to finalize their speeches. This includes practice in the speaking lab (as needed), rehearsal in the Events Center, and a final review by the University’s Division of Communications and Marketing. Each student will also have a professional headshot taken to be used for publicity.
Please direct questions to Kimberly Eiche at firstname.lastname@example.org.