The student must
- be a spring 2020 Watson School undergraduate candidate
- be in good disciplinary standing at the University
- demonstrate academic success
- be an active participant in the University community
Complete applications are due by March 6, 2020, 5 p.m. via email to email@example.com.
Only applications that are 100 percent complete will be considered.
Items that must be submitted:
- Personal statement – include information about yourself as well as why you wish to represent your class at Commencement
- Résumé - a brief résumé that includes your school, major and any University activities
- An outline of the speech you'd like to give at Commencement (delivered speech will be 5 minutes or less)
- Two names of references including contact information. References must be professors, administrators or staff members at Binghamton University
Selection Process and Deadlines
Phase I: Submit Application Materials - March 6, 2020, 5 p.m.
Phase II: Application Review - March 6 - March 10, 2020
The Watson Commencement Committee will meet and review all applications.
Phase III: Interviews and Presentations - To be completed by March 20, 2020
A brief, 15-minute interview will be conducted with candidates selected by the committee during Phase II.
Upon completion of the interview, the student will be asked to give his/her prepared speech to the committee.
Phase IV: Selection - March 25, 2020, by 5 p.m.
All applicants will receive the committee's decision via email no later than March 25, 2020.
Phase V: Commencement Speaker Preparations - March 25 - May 17, 2020
Selected speaker will work with the Commencement Office to prepare and finalize his/her speech. This includes a rehearsal in the Events Center with a final review by the University's Communications and Marketing department.
Please direct questions to Maureen Van Deusen: firstname.lastname@example.org