Goals and Objectives 2012-2013
The Division of Research will advance the research enterprise at Binghamton University to ensure its robust success as the premier public, nationally recognized institution and leader in transformational research that benefits society.
The mission of the Division of Research is to promote and support the research and scholarly activities of the Binghamton University community, and to foster an environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship.
1. Play a key role in executing both the plans spelled out in the NYSUNY 2020 initiative and envisioned by the Road Map planning teams, including faculty hiring and planning for the Smart Energy R&D Facility in coordination with other units across campus.
2. Advocate and support the creation of and funding for the Southern Tier High-Technology Incubator in downtown Binghamton, in coordination with community, state, and federal partners and in line with the Road Map’s emphasis on Community Engagement and Creative Activities and Research.
3. Support the Road Map’s focus on infrastructure by enabling improvements to campus research facilities, including completion of the Center of Excellence building by fall 2013.
4. In line with the Road Map’s goal of becoming the premier public university of the 21st century, work with all schools, in close collaboration with the Division of Academic Affairs, to enable and assist the growth of sponsored research and scholarly activities. New strategies will be implemented to promote growth as funding sources change.
5. To support the Road Map’s emphasis on global engagement, develop new relationships with international partners. These will include research opportunities and memoranda of understanding with institutions abroad.
6. Enhance and accelerate efforts in support of the entrepreneurial ecosystem on campus and in the region in direct support of the Road Map’s attention to Creative Activities and Research.
7. In support of the Road Map’s emphasis on Rankings and Reputation, advance the campus’ reputation for research excellence through national media exposure, print and electronic publications, and by hosting statewide and national conferences and workshops.