Information for Transfer Applicants

  Apply Now

Did you know that more than 3,300 of our undergraduate students are transfers? We are committed to helping you — before you get to campus, during your transition to Binghamton, all the way to your graduation day.

Read about the experiences of two transfer students.

Transfer of Credit

The most popular question we receive from prospective transfer students and their families is: How will my coursework transfer to Binghamton?

To answer this, we offer some online tools you can use to assess what coursework may transfer:

Check HOW YOUR CreditS MAY Transfer

Admission Criteria

Admission to Binghamton is selective. The following criteria are taken into account:

  • Rigor of coursework, strength of academics and grades with emphasis on most recent courses
  • Completion and strength of academics and grades in pre-requisite coursework (strong grades from previous college coursework are essential to your success in Harpur College, but are a priority for admission to our professional schools).
  • Most previous successful applicants had a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is preferred. Note that requirements vary by school (see below).

Also taken into consideration: Participation and leadership in extracurricular activities, community service and work experience; unique skills or talents; and strength of character in overcoming adverse life circumstances such as personal or financial difficulties.

Admission prerequisites by school

  • College of Community and Public Affairs 

    Human Development program

    • Most previous successful applicants had a GPA of 3.0 or higher 
    • General education curriculum is preferred
    • Psychology and sociology recommended

    Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)

    • GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
    • Prerequisite courses: General psychology, intro to sociology, intro to statistics, introductory biology, intro to social work practice. 
    • Additional application materials include: Resume, personal statement and an interview

    Learn more about CCPA requirements

  • Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences
    • Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences admits students as incoming sophomores or juniors. Students are considered sophomores if they're admitted with prerequisites remaining, while those who have completed prerequisites are considered juniors. NOTE: Beginning in fall 2024, Decker College will admit students only as incoming juniors (all prerequisites must be completed). Students who are part of the Binghamton University Scholars program are exceptions to this and should email to speak with an academic advisor.
    • Preferred GPA of 3.0 and prerequisite GPA of 3.0
    • Prerequisite courses: Two composition classes, statistics, introductory biology (waived if already taken microbiology and anatomy and physiology), anatomy and physiology I and II, microbiology, chemistry I and II, introductory psychology and developmental psychology.

    Learn more about Decker requirements

  • Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
  • School of Management
    • GPA 3.5 or higher is preferred
    • Prerequisite courses: Microeconomics, macroeconomics, statistics and calculus
    • It is recommended for students to have microeconomics, macroeconomics and statistics or calculus completed with a B  or higher by the time of application

    Learn more about SOM requirements

  • Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science


    • Mechanical and electrical engineering: GPA of 3.2 or higher preferred
    • All other engineering majors: GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred
    • Prerequisites vary by specific major, but commonly include: calculus (I and II), differential equations, two semesters of calculus-based physics, chemistry (I and II), two courses in English composition or technical writing, two college courses in humanities/social science, introductory programming course (see more details by major).

    Computer science
    GPA of 3.2 or higher is recommended. Prerequisite courses: Calculus I & II, programming, composition and physical science.

    Learn more about Watson requirements

International students may have additional requirements.

Upon Acceptance

Once accepted to Binghamton University, you'll receive an email notification instructing you on where and how to view your preliminary transfer coursework evaluation. Then, during transfer student orientation you'll meet with an academic advisor or department faculty member for a final, official credit transfer evaluation.

In accordance with SUNY requirements, Binghamton University has an appeals process for admitted transfer students or current Binghamton students to appeal decisions made on evaluation of transfer credit.

Contact us if you already hold a bachelor's degree from Binghamton University or another institution as special circumstances may apply.

Housing Choices

  • On-campus: Transfer students may live in one of six residential communities, which include our apartment communities. Each residential community offers a unique living and learning neighborhood and student services.
  • Off-campus: Many transfer students choose to live off campus in moderately priced apartments that are easily accessible by bus service (free to Binghamton University students), a short drive by car or manageable bike ride (even on some winter days!). Students can begin their housing search online with the assistance and support of our Off Campus College (OCC) office, which offers a comprehensive listing of housing and apartment choices as well as roommate matching services and lease review.

Special Services and Programs for Transfer Students

  • Our Transfer Student Success Office can help you transition to life at Binghamton.
  • Every residential community has transfer student mentors who are familiar with the unique needs of transfer students and are dedicated to assisting every step of the way. Off-campus students are offered mentors, too. Details are explained at transfer student orientation.
  • Tau Sigma, the national academic honor society for transfer students. Transfer students are eligible for all University, school and department honors and research opportunities.
  • Students previously enrolled in a New York state opportunity program (EOP, HEOP, SEEK, College Discovery) may be eligible to transfer into EOP at Binghamton.
  • The Office of Veteran and Military Services helps veterans and military-connected students secure their educational benefits and offers veteran-centered events and activities
  • The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program program (McNair Scholars Program) is a Federal TRiO Program. Educational opportunity outreach programs are designed to motivate and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Financial aid and scholarships

Transfer students are eligible to apply for financial aid and should include Binghamton as a school choice when submitting the FAFSA.

The University awards several scholarships each fall semester to members of Phi Theta Kappa, an honor society for students at two-year U.S. or international schools. Selection is competitive, and to be considered, an application is required.

For more information regarding funding your Binghamton education, visit our Financial Aid website.

Meet with a counselor


Phone: 607–777–5972


Binghamton University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, P.O. BOX 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001