Hazardous Spills

If you are a hazardous material user, you should be trained by your supervisor on proper use and storage of hazardous materials. This training must include hazard information, proper procedures for preventing spills, and emergency procedures when a spill happens.

If you witness a hazardous material spill, evacuate the spill site and warn others to stay away.

Determine if you are trained and equipped to safely clean up the spill.

If you are unable to safely clean up the spilled material, call University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 777-2222 (from any phone).

If You Spill A Hazardous Material or Materials:

A major spill (a spill that you cannot safely handle by yourself)

  • Notify others in your area that a spill has occurred
  • Do not hesitate to pull the fire alarm if necessary to evacuate the building.
  • Call 911 (from a campus phone) or 777-2222 (from any phone) from a campus phone to report the spill
  • For flammable materials, turn off all ignitions sources if it can be done safely.
  • Close doors to the area where the spill occurred.
  • Limit access to the area.
  • Stand by the area outside the building until help arrives.
  • Isolate the spill area to keep everyone away, and post signs as necessary.

A minor spill (A spill you can safely clean up)

  • Prevent others from coming in contact with the spilled chemical(s)
  • Wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE) such as goggles, gloves, etc. during cleanup
  • Try to prevent spilled chemicals from entering waterways by building a dike around the access points (sink, cup sinks, floor and outside storm drains). Spread absorbent material on and around the spill to absorb the chemical(s)
  • Sweep up the absorbed spill from the outside toward the middle. Scoop up and deposit in a leak-proof container. Label and dispose of the container through the hazardous waste management program.
  • Wash the contaminated surface with soapy water. Report the spill to your supervisor and to Environmental Health & Safety at 777-2211.

If you suspect or witness a release of a hazardous material to the environment (air, water, ground) call University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 777-2222 (from any phone).