Current students may update their legal sex, legal name, and social security number by following the steps below.
Legal Sex Update
New York State’s Gender Recognition Act of 2021 paved the way for individuals to select gender X on their driver’s licenses, state IDs, and birth certificates. New York State law also now requires that all state agencies that collect sex or gender data — including Binghamton University — offer individuals the X option for sex or gender for state collection purposes.
Students may update their legal sex in the student information system by completing the Legal Sex, Legal Name, and Social Security Number Change Form and bringing their driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate to the Registrar’s Office.
Please note: Students who present a birth certificate must also present a form of photo identification.
Legal Sex is displayed in the following systems:
- Health Services records, health insurance
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Residential Life
- Orientation housing
- Athletics rosters
- International student visa reporting
- Federal and state reporting
Legal Name Update
Current students may update their legal name by completing the Legal Name Update form and providing one of the following to the Registrar’s Office:
- Marriage License
- Court documents indicating the legal name change
- Passport displaying updated name
- Driver’s license displaying updated name
- Social Security card displaying update name
Please note: Students who present a marriage license or court documents must also present a form of photo identification. Additionally, legal name changes are only made post degree conferral in cases of a legal sex change.
Social Security Number
Students may provide their social security number for tax purposes by providing the completed SSN Update form and a copy of their social security card and photo identification to the Registrar’s Office.
Please visit the Registrar's office in the Admissions Center (Room 112) to provide us with the required documents and the completed Legal Sex, Legal Name, and Social Security Number Change Form. You may also submit copies of the completed form and required documents via the my.binghamton.edu portal.
Steps to upload documents securely via the portal:
- Go to my.binghamton.edu.
- Select 'Financial Aid and Student Records Document Submission' from the list of available links on the left-hand side of the page.
- Select 'Student Records' from the drop-down menu to indicate where your documents need to be sent.
- Enter your email address.
- Drag and drop your documents (PDF, JPG) into the box.
- Click SUBMIT.
- You will receive an email confirmation when your documents are received in our drop box successfully.
Please note: The name on your official student record (including diplomas and transcripts) cannot be changed after your degree has been conferred except in cases of a legal sex change.