Introduction to Python Programming - Self paced online
Upcoming offerings: 6/8 - 7/5 and 7/13 - 8/9
Credentials: The students who successfully complete the course by passing the final assignment will receive the Python Foundations digital badge and will have access to a printable Binghamton University issued course completion certificate.
"The Intro to Python course was a great experience in continuing education. The professor kept it very main stream and incorporated several real-world example the Python language could be applied to. I would recommend this course to any analyst looking to grow their skills. " -Chris, Population Health Analyst, CareCompassNetwork"
ABOUT THE COURSE
This online course introduces computer programming in Python for those who
have little or no prior computer programming experience. The course
will be heavily based on hands-on exercises. The course consist of about 4 hours of video lectures with self assessment quizzes (not graded) and a final assignment (Pass/Fail). No course book is required.
The following topics will be covered:
1. Software installation and language basics
2. Variables and data structures (strings, lists, matrices, dictionaries)
3. Flow control and function definition
4. Plotting and visualization
5. Using modules
6. Object-oriented programming
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Hiroki Sayama is a Professor in the Department of Systems Science and Industrial Engineering. His research interests include complex dynamical networks, collective behaviors, social systems modeling, artificial life/chemistry, mathematical biology, computer and information sciences.
- Director, Center for Collective Dynamics of Complex Systems
- Director, Advanced Graduate Certificate Program in Complex Systems Science and Engineering
- Professor, Faculty of Commerce, Waseda University, Japan
- Affiliate, New England Complex Systems Institute
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2015–2016)
- $250: Standard/Industry Rate
- (Group rate: 3-5 people from the same organization - $225 per person, contact email@example.com or 607-777-6241 for Promo Code to use when you register)
- $150: BU and SUNY faculty/staff/alumni (graduated May 2020 or prior)/Non-SUNY students
- $105: Non-BU and SUNY students (must give evidence of matriculation at other University/College)
- $95: BU and SUNY students and recent BU alumni (graduated Dec. 2020 or after)/High School Students
- $35: Retake fee Students (must prove previous registration)
- $50: Retake fee Non-Students (must prove previous registration)
If you are not able to pay with credit card you can contact us to make arrangements for a check payment.
For questions, contact the Office of Industrial Outreach.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
Please note our cancellation and refund policy: All cancellations must be received in writing (email, fax or letter only - no telephone calls) to the Office of Industrial Outreach by 9 a.m. on the course start date to receive a refund. All refunds will be assessed a $20 administrative fee. No refunds for cancellations or non-attendance will be given after the course date. Substituting an attendee will be permitted by alerting our office. Submit your cancellation request to EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the course is canceled, enrollees will be advised and receive a full refund.