INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON
- Instructor: Hiroki Sayama, Professor SSIE Department at Binghamton University.
- Open year round
- Delivery: This course has about 4 1/2 hours of video lectures and in addition self-assessment quizzes (not graded) and a final assignment (graded).
- Credentials: The students who successfully complete the course by passing the final assignment will receive the Introduction to Python digital badge and will have access to a printable Binghamton University issued course completion certificate.
- Who can take the course: This course is open to industry professionals, faculty and students with non-technical or technical backgrounds. There are no prerequisites.
"The Intro to Python course was a great experience in continuing education. The professor kept it very main stream and incorporated several real-world example the Python language could be applied to. I would recommend this course to any analyst looking to grow their skills. " -Chris, Population Health Analyst, CareCompassNetwork
- "This course left me excited to learn much more about programming through Python. I look forward to learning much more." -Kyle, Harpur student
This course introduces computer programming in Python for those who
have little or no prior computer programming experience. No course book is required.
- Introduction and software installation
- Language and Jupyter Notebook basics
- Variables and data structures
- Algorithms, flow control and function definition
- Object-oriented programming
- Plotting and visualization
- File input/output and manipulation
- Using external modules
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Hiroki Sayama is a Professor in the Department of Systems Science and Industrial Engineering. His research interests include complex dynamical networks, collective behaviors, social systems modeling, artificial life/chemistry, mathematical biology, computer and information sciences.
Director, Center for Collective Dynamics of Complex Systems.
Director, Advanced Graduate Certificate Program in Complex Systems Science and Engineering.
Professor, Faculty of Commerce, Waseda University, Japan.
Affiliate, New England Complex Systems Institute.
Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2015–2016).
- $250: Standard/Industry Rate
- $150: BU and SUNY faculty/staff and BU Alumni
- $105: Non-BU and non-SUNY students (must give evidence of matriculation at other University/College)
- $95: BU and SUNY students and High School Students
- $35: Retake fee Students (must prove previous registration)
- $50: Retake fee Non-Students (must prove previous registration)
If you are not able to pay with credit card you can contact us to make arrangements for a check payment.
For questions, contact the Office of Industrial Outreach.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
Please note our cancellation and refund policy: All cancellations must be received in writing (email) to the Office of Industrial Outreach. All refunds will be assessed a 10% administrative fee. No refunds for cancellations or non-attendance will be given after you have started the course. Submit your cancellation request to EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the course is canceled, enrollees will be advised and receive a full refund.