Undergraduate Programs

The Bachelor of Science program in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://abet.org/.

Graduates from our program, within the first few years of their career, will either achieve professional employment in the broad field of mechanical engineering or related disciplines, or enroll in programs of advanced study in engineering, science and other professions, including business and law.

The curriculum has been designed to provide strong technical preparation in the broad field of mechanical engineering.


Students enter the BSME program as sophomores from the Engineering Design Division, as junior transfers from other schools such as community colleges, or as internal transfers from Harpur College of Arts and Sciences.

The program emphasizes the application of engineering fundamentals rather than specialization within areas of mechanical engineering. However, some specialization is permitted through elective courses. Care has been taken to ensure a balanced integration of theory, design and laboratory practice through the selection and sequencing of courses within the curriculum.

The primary goal is to prepare the mechanical engineering bachelor of science graduate for a creative, lifelong engineering career.

Combined degrees and minor programs are available.

Suggested course tracks

Refer to the University Bulletin for the official requirements - Take note of all Pre- or Co-requisites

For students who excel in the mechanical engineering program, it's recommended that they enroll in the Mechanical Engineering 4+1 Accelerated Program to complete both their bachelor's and master's in just five years. 

Watson/SOM Accelerated 4+1 MBA Degree Program

Economic and managerial issues have been integrated into the engineer's responsibilities.

The Watson School and the School of Management have joined together to offer a five-year program that combines an engineering undergraduate degree with a master's in business administration (MBA).

Students must apply during their junior year and take four MBA courses during the senior year.

Please note: Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to obtain professional engineering licenses. Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the Watson School's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the Dean's Office.