This information will assist you with employment and payroll related questions as a Student Assistant or Federal College Work Study at Binghamton University.  We hope that your employment on campus will be a enjoyable experience.

Student Employment Criteria

Employees must be enrolled and regularly attending classes at Binghamton University or another affiliated SUNY campus (including Community Colleges) in order to eligible for employment. All students enrolled as half-time (6 credits; determined by the office of Financial Aid & Student Records) undergraduate or graduate students at Binghamton University are exempt from FICA taxes (unless in "career title"). Students on academic or disciplinary suspension are not eligible to be employed on these two student payrolls. While classes are in session, it is recommended that departments limit student employees to working 20 hours per week (all jobs on campus combined, including private employers on campus).

Student Employment Personnel and Payroll Policy

Work Criteria

International students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session as a condition of their visa. When classes are not in session, student employees can work up to a total of 29 hours per week (all student employment combined on campus, including private employers) per SUNY policy. It is the responsibility of the student and the department to ensure hourly limits are adhered to. Please note, the 29 hour per week limit does not apply to Federal College Work Study employees.

Federal College Work Study

Federal College Work Study employees must receive an allocation from Financial Aid.  This is accomplished by completing the FAFSA  and having demonstrated financial need according to the Department of Education guidelines. To earn Federal Work Study money, you must obtain an FWS job on campus.  Another option is Community Service FWS jobs -- for this program, you must be Federal Work Study eligible, and be matched with an agency which has a contract with Financial Aid plus federal government split funds. Please note, students can only work in one department at a time as a federal college work study.

  • All Federal College Work Study employees may begin working for the new academic year on 08/22/2023.
  • Federal College Work Study employees with full academic year grants must stop work effective 05/10/2024.

Student Assistant

Student Assistant employees can work through the summer as long as they are registered for the upcoming semester. It is REQUIRED that the student employee bring a copy of their registration or class schedule to Human Resources.  This entitles you to be tax exempt during the summer.

Graduating seniors on the Student Assistant payroll may not work past 5/10/2024 unless they are going to be attending a SUNY college or university for advanced degrees in the fall.

Timesheets & Instructions

Student Assistant and Federal College Work Study employees must complete their time records online by logging into with their Binghamton University Computer Account Username and Password.

If this is your first time on the state payroll, you may have a waiting period before you can access the online time and attendance system.

To ensure that your timesheet is submitted on time:

  • Come to Human Resources and complete an I-9/new hire paperwork
    • New student employes cannot be entered into the SUNY payroll system until this paperwork is complete
  • Your supervisor may need to submit your first online timesheet on your behalf
    • During this time, you wil want to keep a written copy of your hours worked and provide it to your supervisor at the end of the pay period

Timesheet instructions for Student Assistant and Federal College Work Study employees

Pay Rates

Student Assistant & Federal College Work Study students can be paid a minimum of $15.00 per hour and a maximum of $26.65 per hour as of December 21, 2023.

Direct Deposit Reactivation Form

If you have been off the Student Payroll for the summer and would like to continue direct deposit you will need to complete a Direct Deposit Reactivation Form.  Providing your bank and bank account remain the same you will be to able to fill out this form. 

Retirement System

As employees of New York State, Student Assistants and Federal Work Study students are eligible for membership in the New York State and Local Retirement System. You must complete an election form to accept or decline.  Membership requires a 3% contribution from your wages.

Student employees are also eligible for a membership at the State Employees Federal Credit Union -  SEFCU.

Student Payroll Service Center

The Student Payroll Service Center is located in the Couper Administration Building room 225 and distributes payroll checks for state University employees.

The Student Payroll Service Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:30AM - 4:00 PM throughout the academic year.

Summer hours are 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Student Payroll Forms

Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.