DegreeWorks FAQ

What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

What is an audit?

A DegreeWorks audit is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor.

Who has the ability to access DegreeWorks?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all freshman and transfer undergraduate students admitted in or after the fall 2013 semester. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled in the BU BRAIN.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree (general education, college-specific requirements) major and minor requirements information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements you still need to complete. Please note: you cannot fully analyze your remaining coursework until you have declared a major.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

Yes. Using the Look Ahead feature you can select courses that you plan to take in the future to see what degree, major, and minor requirements it will complete on the audit.  See the Look Ahead section DegreeWorks for more information.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades are viewable in the BU BRAIN, they are available in Degree Works following the nightly refresh.

Can I see a list of all of the classes I've taken?

Yes. On the Worksheets tab, click on the Course History link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at BU as well as transfer courses.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. Any exception to degree, major or minor requirements should be discussed with your academic advisor or department personnel.

Why isn't my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons. One is that DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that the university has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending a departmental review. Check with your academic advisor if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

How can I update course information?

You cannot update course information in DegreeWorks. To change your major or minor see the academic department of the major or minor you wish to declare.

Using the Audit

Your audit will display the courses you've taken or are registered for and will show you any degree, major, minor, or concentration requirements that are being met by the courses you've taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

DegreeWorks uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

If I think my audit is incorrect, whom do I contact?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Office of Student Records for assistance.

Where can I find my major GPA?

Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear within the major block requirements of your audit on the right side in the header for the block.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline for you courses still needed to meet degree, major or minor requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

Why isn't there a check mark next to a requirement I've already completed?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Office of Student Records for assistance.

My record shows that my major is still undeclared but I have declared a major. Why doesn't my major show?

Check with the academic department in which you submitted the declaration. If there is a discrepancy they will contact the Office of Student Records for assistance.

Where can I see my second major or my minor?

DegreeWorks is designed to show a listing of your majors and minors in the Student View audit. Additionally, each major and minor is broken out into individual requirement blocks within the audit. Students pursuing multiple majors or minors will see multiple major or minor blocks.

Students pursuing double degrees or a second major in a degree will need to click on the Degree drop-down box at the top of the screen in order to view the additional requirements.

Where can I see my audit for my second degree?

You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop-down menu at the top of the screen.

Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There are a few reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed. Third, the courses equivalencies may not have been processed yet. If you have additional questions see your academic advisor.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient block on your audit.

My academic advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?

You should contact your academic advisor to resolve any substitution issue. Any waivers, substitutions, or exceptions for major or minor requirements must be communicated to the academic advising office of your college by the appropriate department staff. The exception could take up to two week to process once received in Academic Advising.

If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I'm graduating?

Not necessarily. If you have applied to graduate, the Office of Student Records will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework prior to the add/drop period of your final semester and a final audit after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. Missing requirements will be communicated to you by the office of Student Records.

What is the "What If" feature?

The What If function allows you to explore different majors. The What If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

I'm thinking of changing my major. Will I be able to see how my current classes fit into my What If major?

Yes. The What If function will perform an audit based on the proposed major and will show how your completed, current, and planned coursework meets the requirements.

Can my advisor see my What If scenario?

Since What If scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together.

Can I view multiple What If scenarios on the same screen?

Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple major(s) or minor(s).

Can I save a What If scenario?

No. What If plans are not saved on DegreeWorks. You would need to run a new What If scenario next time you log in to see it again.

Can I print a What If scenario?

Yes. If you want to share it with your advisor at a later date, you should print your What If scenario.

If I like what I see in a What If scenario, how do I initiate the changes?

Always speak with your academic advisor first. After consulting with your academic advisor, you may change your academic program by visiting the academic department of the major/minor you wish to declare. If you intend to change colleges or add a second major in a different college, you must submit an application for Intra-University Transfer or Double Degree through the BU BRAIN. Before you begin your Intra-University Transfer (IUT)/Double Degree application, please be aware that each school has specific criteria that applicants must meet, and each school may also have space limitations on the number of students who can be accommodated. Applicants should be sure to contact the advising office of the intended school to obtain advising and an information sheet that outlines prerequisites and deadlines. Spaces may fill at any time before the semester begins. Notification is not made until after the conclusion of the current semester and is sent via e-mail.

What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By putting in your current earned credits and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Is this calculated GPA guaranteed?

No. This is an estimate only.

Why can't I select a grade of "P"?

"P" grades do not count in your GPA. Remove courses for which you expect to receive a "P" from your course list before calculating GPA.