Declare major/minor

Declaring by School

Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

All students must pursue an approved academic major to assure completion of all academic requirements by the end of their senior year. Following a specific coursework plan early in one’s academic career typically leads to a declaration of a major before the fifth semester. Students declare majors with Harpur College of Arts and Sciences by completing the required documentation with the individual academic department or program.

School of Management

Students declare concentrations in the School of Management. Students in the management baccalaureate program should select one or more concentrations preferably by the end of their fifth semester. More specifically, students seeking specialization in Accounting and qualification for their Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in New York State are urged to confer with the school’s Academic Advising Office and select the degree program no later than sophomore year.

Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science

  • Computer Science majors are admitted at the freshman level or as transfer students directly into the Computer Science degree program.
  • Engineering majors: Freshmen students are admitted to the Engineering Design Division.
  • Sophomore transfer students are admitted directly into Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Systems Science and Industrial Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering degree programs.

College of Community and Public Affairs

Students are enrolled in the Human Development major when accepted to the school.

Decker School of Nursing

Students are enrolled in the Nursing major when accepted to the school.

Declaring Minors, Concentrations, Emphases, Specializations, Dual/Double Degrees

Please contact your academic department or advising office for specific details on how to declare a double major, minors, concentrations, emphases and/or specializations. 

Changing Declarations

Students who need to change any type of declaration, i.e. major, minor, etc., must seek the appropriate documentation from their academic department. Note: Double degree students who wish to drop one major, should complete the Double Degree Drop Form.

Why it is important to declare a major

It is important to declare your major(s) and any minor(s) in a timely fashion. Each school has different rules about when majors/minors must be declared, but here are a few more reasons to keep your major/minor record up to date:

  • Course Registration - Many upper-level courses are restricted to students in a particular major/minor.
  • Financial considerations - Students with 56 credits or more must have a declared major to be eligible for New York State TAP.
  • Graduation Requirements
    • If you do not delete majors/minors you are no longer pursuing, your DegreeWorks audit will show that you are missing degree requirements, which will prevent you from graduating.
    • Diplomas will not be awarded to students who have not declared a major or minor.