Watson College Final Grade Appeal

The Watson College adheres to the academic policies outlined in the University Bulletin.

Yet, the college recognizes that at times students may believe that a grade has been unfairly assigned and want to appeal the grade. Students enrolled in a course offered in a department or program within Watson College have the right to do so, though in keeping with the University Bulletin, grade appeals in general will not be supported unless an error was made by the instructor. Students who wish to appeal a grade received in a Watson College course must follow the steps outlined below.


The student must first contact the instructor of record to discuss the grade and determine whether a change in grade will be made. The instructor has the right to ask the student for additional materials as needed to make a decision on the appeal. If the instructor denies the appeal, the student can then move to the next step of the appeals process.


If the instructor of record rejects the appeal, the student then has the option of bringing the appeal to the chair of the program or department in which the course was listed. Because the appeal process at this level may vary by department, students wishing to file an appeal with a department chair should first contact the department to learn of necessary procedures. Chairs can elect to discuss the matter with the student or may appoint a delegate to discuss the appeal. The appeal process may be done in person or in writing and may require the submission of additional information, all at the discretion of the chair. If the chair decides to reject the appeal, the student then has the option of appealing to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Administration.


Students wishing to appeal to the Associate Dean will be required to complete the attached form and attach supporting documentation, as listed on the form. All documents should be submitted in hard copy to the Watson Dean’s Office. The Associate Dean will review the documents and may contact the student or instructor to obtain additional information. Once the review is complete, the Associate Dean will notify the student of the decision. The decision of the Associate Dean is final in these matters.

Hardcopy of Form