Academic progress

Here is a guide to your academic progress here at Binghamton University. For official University policy, please check the University Bulletin.

Students' academic progress is reviewed at the end of each regular semester to ensure that satisfactory progress is maintained.

"Satisfactory progress" is defined as maintaining a 2.0 grade-point average (GPA).

The GPA is calculated on a 4.0 system using the following grade-point equivalents:

  • A = 4.0
  • A- = 3.7
  • B+ = 3.3
  • B = 3.0
  • B- = 2.7
  • C+ = 2.3
  • C = 2.0
  • C- = 1.7
  • D = 1.0
  • F = 0.0

Some students are advised to retake a course if they did not meet the minimum grade requirement.

Only if a failed course is retaken does that grade become part of the cumulative grade-point average.

When a course in which a student has earned a grade of D or better is retaken, it does count toward full-time enrollment during the semester in which it is retaken but the final grade does not replace the first (D) in the student's DegreeWorks Report or the student's grade-point average.

Add/Drop Policies

Students are expected to be familiar with the University-wide policies governing changes in their course registration, specifically the add/drop deadlines. No changes are made to an undergraduate record after two years have passed.

Add/Drop Deadline: The add and drop deadline is 11:59 pm on February 3, 2020.

Course Withdrawal:  Students may withdraw from individual courses. (If students choose to withdraw from ALL their courses, see "University WIthdrawal" below.) Courses withdrawn appear on a student’s schedule with a notation of “W”. Withdrawn courses are noted on a student’s transcript but there is no grade associated with a “W”. The spring 2020 deadline to withdraw from individual courses is June 5th, 2020.

 Course withdrawals before May 5: Course withdrawal can be completed on BU Brain (Student Tab > Registration > Add/Drop Courses > Web Withdrawal).

 Course withdrawals between May 5 and June 5: These require a different procedure. Instructions will be provided around May 5, 2020.

University Withdrawal/Semester Withdrawal:

Students who want to withdraw from ALL courses for the semester should complete the Undergraduate Semester Withdrawal Form. The semester withdrawal is noted on a student’s record as an Official Withdrawal and, in place of grades, all courses will have a “W” on the student’s transcript. The deadline to withdraw from the full semester (all classes) is June 5th, 2020.

All above-mentioned deadlines can be found on the University calendar.

Note: If an academic petition is approved for a late add or late drop because of extraordinary circumstances, a late add/drop fee is placed on your student account.

Watson College Policy for Course Withdrawal after the Official University Withdrawal Deadline

Under extraordinary circumstances, a student may seek a late withdrawal from a course via BU Brain. This is subject to both instructor's and Watson Advising approval and requires the following:

  • A complete description of extenuating circumstances.
  • Accompanying official documentation (medical reports, etc.).

Both of the above are mandatory. A request must be received by the Watson Advising Office no later than 72 hours before the last day of classes in the current semester.

Academic Honors

Full-time students who complete a semester with a 3.5 or better GPA are placed on the Dean's Honors List. This honor is noted on the permanent transcript. 

  • 3.50-3.69 GPA: cum laude
  • 3.70-3.84 GPA: magna cum laude
  • 3.85-4.00 GPA: summa cum laude

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative grade point average for courses taken at Binghamton falls below 2.0 are placed on academic probation for the following semester and are subject to the following restrictions:

  • may not register for more than 14 credit hours
  • may not run for or accept any campus office or committee chairmanship

Students are removed from academic probation when their cumulative GPA reaches 2.0

Academic probation does not preclude students from receiving financial aid.

Academic Suspension

Students on academic probation who again fail to meet both the 2.0 cumulative GPA and the last-semester GPA are suspended. Students who meet the last-semester GPA requirement but still post a cumulative GPA under 2.0 remain on academic probation.

Suspension becomes effective immediately when it is imposed.

The duration for academic suspension is one semester, and students are not considered for readmission during that period.

Academic Dismissal Index


Last Semester











Suspension Appeal

Appeals will be considered for students, but only if the suspension is due to extreme circumstances. An appeal letter must be written by the suspended student.

Any medically-related appeal must be supported by acceptable medical documentation and must include written statements by medical professionals.

Any other type of extreme emergency situation must also be carefully and officially documented.

Suspension Readmission

Students who decide to request readmission after the minimum of one semester away from school due to suspension are required to contact the Watson Advising Office to discuss their academic plan and begin the readmission process.

Academic Dismissal

Students who, after being suspended and readmitted once again fail to meet the required academic standards, are dismissed.